CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Regulars

I work in downtown New Orleans, and take the streetcar to work from uptown every day. Several of the streetcar drivers know where my stop is at this point, since I'm riding almost daily and usually multiple times. (And I suppose that the Indian co-worker I'm with stands out around here...) There are also fellow commuters that I've gotten used to seeing: the woman who hates to share her seat, a man who lives near Loyola and wears a very familiar cologne, and others.

Then there are the regulars I wish I wouldn't see. Perhaps it's because I've never spent this much concentrated time in a city before, or maybe it's affects of Katrina, or the fact that New Orleans' socioeconomic groups are all mixed up... But it seems like I've never been confronted with so many homeless people. Walking to the elementary school where I tutor in Durham, I'd often see a few of the same men. However, those two or three just never seemed as bad off as people here. I know I'm speaking from middle class privilege, because to not have a home is bad off regardless, but there's a different level of poverty when sanity comes into question.

There's a homeless man I see most days who wears an orange wool hat and is bundled up in the New Orleans heat of June. He has plastic bags filling his motorized wheelchair and hanging over the side. And when he talks to us, its so hard to understand. And we've met others- a man who seemed to be high on something other than life, as he jazzercised his way down the street and on to the trolley, men by the street car stops and on sidewalks, women who wreak of liquor.

All this is in the middle of a thriving down town, and in contrast to the beautiful garden district where we're staying... It's a lot to reconcile. This city seems to expose the best and worst of America, all boiled down and intensified. The poverty, and the racial issues (another post entirely) are all right next to this amazing culture and incredible accomplishments and wealth. I'm still enamored with the city, but like any complicated loved one, the ugly parts have to be acknowledged along with the beauty.

I must say, NO's got extremes of both.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am most confused !!1Is it the bugs or the people in "NEED" thapressd you the most about the south..... What is Middle Class...How did you get there ???? Can it be possible that those "PEOPLE" images that you have the Privelage to view each and every day on your journeys to a better place, are reasons we all should be extending a helping hand ?????? Keep in mind that you might be having problems with bugs but those struggling have a bigger bug to fight !!!!! The next time you see your friends,"those you would rather not see!!!" take time to open your heart and send them a small wish for safety and love during their times of hardship.....

Sam I Am said...

Thank you, anonymous, for your comments, but, you're blurring two separate posts. To clarify: I would rather not see these people because I want them to be in better situations. The mosquitoes are another issue, and I know that it's only my relative privilege that allows me to focus on them. My writing this blog post was an attempt to understand how the people I'm speaking of got to be in their situations and how they could best be helped, not the reflections of a closed heart.

Anonymous said...

Take time to research the term "Closed Heart".....

Relative Privelage ???? allows you to focus on them ???? I must admit you forgot to convey how you are focusing on them besides your dis-baff of their conditions.

Keep in mind, the odds are against them already and there are enough peoaple out there with your views. So wake up and explore the solutions to the problems and stop not helping !!!! They will never be THANKFUL for your pitty for their situation.

Sam I Am said...

Well, since you have somehow gleaned my views from a single blog post, and deemed them invalid, I suppose I should thank you for opening up my eyes. But, somehow I don't. Beyond the fact that I'm not obligated to disclose all of my activities to an anonymous poster or the rest of the internet for that matter, you must realize that your chastising of a college student for having a realization (the job of college students is to learn is it not?) is overreaching and not particularly helpful to the people in question.
Meanwhile, I refrained from mentioning it prior to this, but while I'm doing research of various terms, perhaps you should research "spell check". Please and thanks.