CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

When Did This Happen?

It has come to my attention that my dad reads this blog. Furthermore, it has come to my attention that he would like a shout out. So, here it is:

HI DAD!


Mission accomplished.


On to the subject of this post. OH MY GOSH ITS SENIOR YEAR AND I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO NEXT. I realize that the abundance of capitals may seem a bit melodramatic to some. But let me paint a picture of the current situation:
You have spent 21 years of your life well fed, housed, cared for and generally taken care of. For fifteen or more of those years, you've been well educated. In fact, you are three-quarters of the way through a pretty prestigious school, getting a degree in something you love. And, being a well-adjusted young adult, you realize it's about time you did some of this feeding, housing and caring for myself. This is a little scary, but you breathe deeply and take it in stride. This is the circle of life. Suddenly, you have another realization, and it is truly horrifying: This very coveted, very expensive degree, has taught you how to... read. And write.
So... yea. Are there any jobs out there for a very proficient elementary schooler?

Seriously though, I have learned quite a bit at my very prestigious school, both in and out of the classroom. I have work experience, and a little bit of life experience (only so much can be expected from a 21 year old who was spared the school of hard knocks), and have volunteered for worthy causes, and care a lot about a lot of things. I can be organized, and I can multi-task, and I'm good with people and I'm motivated. And I think I look pretty darn good on paper, and make a pleasant first impression.
But even still, with all that said, it's a bit frightening to be so unsure what I've spent four years preparing myself for. I am not entirely convinced it was the real world, as Duke tends to seem very unreal to me most of the time. And as I'm preparing for the end of this journey, it is becoming more and more apparent that I have no idea what's next.

I've been told this is normal, and age appropriate, and at least I'm starting now and I'll be fine. I think that this is probably true. But, once again, I'm just putting it out there:

Smart, adaptable, motivated soon to be Duke graduate, looking for job (in New Orleans or Washington, DC preferably)...
References and resume available upon request.

0 comments: