CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 20, 2009

It's early morning, between my early workout and commute but I had to stop in to say:
I love a male feminist!

Basically, former president Jimmy Carter rocks my socks today! This article he wrote for the observer is so spot on, that if I ever meet him I will give him a hug! He looks like the sort of former leader of the free world that you could hug, doesn't he?

Granted, the pink heart frame totally makes my case, lol.

Basically, former President Carter lays out the case for why women's subordinate status in many religions, and in daily life around the world, is not a result of inferiority, but rather the power dynamics used by male religious leaders for centuries. I love him for speaking out on this so eloquently. I also love him for pointing out that disagreeing with a religious doctrine was entirely separate from his continued faith. I wish more Christians, and people of all faiths, read their scriptures and discerned for themselves the truth. Rituals and decrees are man's (and I don't necessarily mean that in a gender-inclusive way) interpretations, not necessarily God's will, and that distinction is not made clear often enough. Not that I'm calling for spiritual anarchy here, just noting that a reasoned, thoughtful deviation from your domination is a sign of taking your relationship with your Higher Power seriously. I like it.

0 comments: