CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 14, 2009

Falling off the Wagon

I am most definitely slacking on these adventures. In my defense however, I had two friend dates, both of which could be seen as adventurous.

Eating Mexican food in Chinatown, it has been alleged, could truly have put my tummy in peril (all was well, thank goodness). That episode on Thursday was supposed to be an adventure, as I had plans to ask someone who appeared to have been in Chinatown when it actually was Chinatown about the area's history. Now, this could have been really fascinating, as I like random interviews, but I felt a little racist. I mean, I'll admit that I can't tell country of origin by sight, and what if the person I'd approached wasn't Chinese? Major faux pas. Or, what if a shopkeeper was just as new to the area as Urban Outfitters. I refuse to be one of those people who thinks they're all liberal and aware and PC, but then fails epically. So, rather than sounding like the kid who's "best friend is black! HONEST!", I skipped it, and ate my Chipotle.

I diiiid do some google research though. Apparently Chinatown was more of a Germantown until the 1930's, and hasn't been "authentically" Chinese since about the 80's. The city actually built the famous bridge more to commemorate what was once there rather than what is.


It's actually pretty sad to me, and yet another comment on gentrification in the District (I haven't made any on this blog to my remembrance, but it's a ponderance of mine in real life). Basically there isn't much of old Chinatown left (we looked, and so did this great photojournal). Apparently both Chocolate City and Chinatown suffer from urban renewal. Who knew?
So that I'll count as half an adventure, since I didn't totally follow through, but learned something anyway.


I also went out on Friday, and didn't get home until after midnight! I know what you're thinking "Whoooaa! Party animal!" It could be construed as an adventure, since I didn't know most of the people, and don't usually stay out that late anymore.

So together, I'll count it as 1 adventure total last week, which works since I still need to make sushi. I'll find a way to work in three this week and stay on track. Go team!

1 comments:

rini said...

thanks for the research-- i've always called it 'chinablock' for the minimal representation of chinese food/culture there...