CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Time out to acknowledge the world around me

After my flurry of productivity, I've realized that I need to speak to my supervisor before proceeding. Aaaand she's in a meeting. So I'm back (isn't it wonderful?) and thought I'd comment on my President's address to Congress on health care reform.

The Good:

  • Gotta be one of his best speeches yet. It just felt good to listen to, and had I not been analyzing him (thanks to Mom's skepticism mostly) I would have been totally swept away.
  • He finally laid out what he considers to be essential to the plan, and dispelled a lot of myths. Although, some were so ludicrous I still can't believe anyone bought it. Death panels?! Really guys, come on now.
  • I agree with the plan (the broad strokes of it at least), and think that it would do what I feel should be the main goal- make sure everyone has access to coverage.
  • We're further along on this issue than ever before, and congress agrees on 80% of the content.
  • Senator Kennedy's wife seemed so touched.
  • Lady O looked lovely, per usual.
The Bad:
  • That other 20% is killer.
  • Things are still a bit fuzzy for me. I think it's partly because Congress is doing the law writing, but I wish we'd gotten more details.
  • I have a hard time believing this won't cost us a lot. Saying that the deficit won't increase seems deceptive, because I suspect premiums will still rise. On the other hand, I think it may be worth the initial cost for greater rewards later. But I hope we're being honest about it.
  • The public option (option, not takeover folks) seems really important to me, and we might be losing it.
  •  I have mixed feelings about invoking Senator Kennedy's legacy. I think it was effective and tasteful, but I always hesitate when we use those who have passed on to get anything done, even if they would support the legislation.
The Ugly:
  • Representative Joe Wilson. Enough said.
  • Actually this image says it better:

The Beautiful:
  • My President will Call.You.Out. Loved it.



Just a sidenote: between Joe Jackson and Joe Wilson, it's like all the Joe's in the world got together mid-summer and said "Hey, let's just make *sses out of ourselves in public. Ready? GO!" Clearly they both need more people.

2 comments:

Ggr2 said...

In terms of Ted Kennedy and passing legislation based on those who have passed (is it bad to use puns when your referring to the dead?) I think you should think about the Civil Rights Act of 1964 - both LBJ and Ted Kennedy himself used the assassination of JFK as well as his supposed dedication to the bill as a rallying point to pass the critical legislation. Now, obviously the legislation didn't do enough in more ways than one, but it did pass, thanks in large part to using the image of slain leader. Seeing as how Ted Kennedy himself actively participated in this, I think he would be honored to have people rally around healthcare because they want to see a fulfillment of his dreams, even after he's passed.

Sam I Am said...

True enough. If there was ever an appropriate moment for it, I'd say this was one of them. And it was totally in keeping with what I think Sen. Kennedy would want his legacy to be. I think I get squeamish about invoking legacies partly because of the way that Civil Rights heroes are used sometimes. Of course using MLK in a Black History Month commercial to sell a car or McDonald's is obviously different. But that's the source of my squeamishness. I just hope that, in such a heated debate, America can at least try to keep it classy when it comes to people who can no longer defend their own name.