CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, August 15, 2009

Gotta go get me a life...

It is hot. I am overwhelmed by said heat, and must comment on it.
Now that that's over, on to more navel gazing subjects.

So, the summer after college is coming to an end, and I have come to some realizations. First, the good news:

  1. The economy did not destroy my life. I actually have a job that I <3
  2. Living at home as an "adult" is not a bad experience, and for the moment I'm quite alright with it.
  3. DC is a pretty great city. There's lots to do and see, and the people on the metro are endlessly fascinating.
  4. I tend to have more than enough money to do at least most of what I want, possibly due to the cheapness of residing at home.
  5. I am generally happy and fulfilled. Yay!
Now, the not so great news:
  1. Said job is very demanding, and kinda stressful. This stress must be relieved.
  2. Said home is kinda far from life, and requires a commute to most things.
  3. I should probably interact regularly with people who are not from home or job, or anonymous folks on the metro.
  4. Commuting eats up more of that money than I would prefer.
  5. Happiness and fulfillment would probably increase if I got out and did more things.
The solution I propose is that I get a life. I know, obvious right? Oh, and that I save up money for the next year or so to potentially buy a condo much closer to, if not directly in, the city. But back to this life thing.

How do you socialize yourself into adulthood, without friends from state school? I of course have my Dukies in DC, and a few other promising fronts, but as far as being an active and contributing member of the world, I need a bit of work. So, I'm contemplating a few things:
  1. Take a fun, random class- dancing, cooking and learning a language come to mind.
  2. Volunteer- dunno doing what, or when I'd have time, but it's on the list
  3. Start singing or performing again
  4. Join a church (this may help with numbers 2 and 3 actually)
  5. Schedule 2 friend dates per week
So, we'll see what comes of this, and how it all works out. But, now that these things are in writing I will hopefully be more committed to taking action. And the good news for the 2.5 people who read this thing is- it will give me more to write about!

0 comments: