CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, August 31, 2009

"Wow, they're not slimy at all."

Adventure number 2: SNAILS!

Of course I mean escargot.  That's right, I ate it. And it was gooooood. Actually, French food generally is good, as I discovered on Friday evening. It was a pretty expensive discovery, but I'm gonna call it worth it.
How on earth did this come about, you ask? The wife (a future food writer extraodinaire) took me out of my funk... straight to Brasserie Beck. Absolute deliciousness, and I loved it as soon as we were greeted by the staff upon entering. They greeted us like there was no tomorrow, and it made me smile.

Apparently they have the best snails in the city. (I know this not, but Ms. Zagat says so, and I believe it.) And since I'd never eaten whatever sort of animal family snails belong to, and it definitely enriched my life (or at least my tummy), it totally counts as a spontaneous adventure!

Score! Pictures below :)

This is Duck Confit (pronounced cone-fee by the way). It was delicious, but not really the point.

This is the point: escargot! It looks nothing like I expected.
 
This is what I pictured. Not nearly as appetizing... But kinda friendly looking, no?
But, I got over it, my anxiety, and here's proof!

And here's Korsha, who had fewer hangups I believe, trying it out too.
(She's laughing at me taking a pic of everything. Isn't she adorable?)


So we ate them, and they were good- excellent even. They were tender, actually very savory, not the least bit slimy, and I'm glad I had them. I might even have them again.
Luckily though, after the snails and duckies, we went back to much more familiar territory, though still delicious.
This is mussels with apples and curry... 
 
...And this, is a whole bowl of FRENCH FRIES!  WHOOHOO!
And such concluded the first week's adventures. With good old freedom fries. 
Coming up this week, the top two votes in the poll- tree climbing (technical difficulties appear to be resolved) commences Friday. And, at some point I'll pop on some red lipstick...  Still psyching myself up for it a little, but it'll happen! And you'll read all about it! (I hope.)

0 comments: